PPE THE NECESSITY FOR ANY INDUSTRY
Personal protective equipment, or PPE, protects its user against any physical harm or hazards that the workplace environment may present. It is important because it exists as a preventative measure for industries that are known to be more hazardous, like manufacturing and mining.
Types of PPE and their importance which is as follows:-
- Safety Helmet
Importance of Safety Helmet in a Industry:-
- Protection to the workers from strong head impacts.
- Protection to the workers from electric injuries.
- Protection to the workers from injury penetration.
- Protects the head against falling objects and the side of the head, eyes, and neck from any untoward impacts, bumps, scrapes, and electrical exposure.
- SAFETY GLOVES.
Importance of Safety Gloves in a Industry:-
- Protection against contact dermatitis.
- Protection against sharp objects.
- Protection against Temperatures (High / Low).
- Protection against Chemical Burns.
- Protection against Communicable diseases.
- SAFETY GOGGLES.
Importance of Safety Goggles in a Industry:-
- Safety Goggles form a protective seal around the eyes and prevent objects from entering under or around the safety goggle.
Types of Safety Goggles:-
- Chemical Splash Goggles.
- Helps to reduce exposure to a variety of eye hazards including impact, splash and dust.
- Protective Spectacles.
- Helps to reduce exposure to a variety of eye hazards including particles like flying objects or dust with side protection.
- Helps in blockage of UV’s radiation into the eyes.
- Shaded Pc Lens protect against IR rays.
- Face shield
Uses of Face shield:-
- Can be used for Gas welding as well Electric welding.
- Can be used for Ultraviolet radiation as well solar radiation as well.
- Can be used against Solar radiation for Industrial use.
- Welding Goggles.
- Gas Welding.
- Oxygen Welding.
- Combined UV and IR Protection.
- Perfect Colour recognition.
- Quality mark for assured performance.
- Over Spectacles.
- Frameless design with wide field of vision.
- Can be worn with prescription spectacles & lenses.
- 100 % Metal free, screw less design.
- Quality mark for assured performance.
- Safety Shoes.
Importance of Safety Shoes
- Prevents From Falling & Flying Objects.
- Protect From Punctures.
- Prevents Burn.
- Prevents Fall.
- Protects from Cuttings Hazards.
- Protects From Electrical Hazards.
- Safety Apparels.
Importance of Safety Apparels:-
- Safety Apparel is vital in workplace as it protects the user against any health and safety risks at work.
- Minimizes the injury risk & increases the overall productivity. 3. Light weight outfit that enables the user to move friendly.
- SAFETY HARNESS.
Importance of Safety Harness:-
- Protects the user from falling.
- Allows user to attach yourself to an immovable object thus ensuring you will not hit the ground if you trip or fall from height.
- Provides freedom of movement sufficient to allow the user to effectively perform the users job
- It improves the wearer’s protection.
Types of Respirators
1] Disposable Respirators- FFR ( Filtering Face piece Respirators).
Importance of Disposable Respirators:-
- Protect against various respirable particulates like dust, fibres, mist and fumes some are fitted with exhalation valves to make breathing easier.
- Avoids puncture in filter area.
- Provides breathing comfort and promotes easy communication.
- Protects protection against sub-micron particles, fine dusts, non-oil based liquid mist and biological agent’s e.g TB, SARS, and pandemic influenza.
Types of FFR Respirators :-
- FFP1 Class – 80 % Efficiency.
- FFP2 Class – 90 % Efficiency.
- FFP3 Class – 95 % Efficiency.
- N 95 Class – 99 % Efficiency.
2] Gas Respirators
A] HFM- Respirators.
Importance of HFM Respirators:-
- Protect against various types of particulates or vapours and gases depending on fitted chemical filter. Some may have combination filter.
- Provides breathing comfort.
- Reduces buildup of CO2 , heat & moisture for enhanced comfort.
B] FFM – Respirators.
Importance of FFM Respirators:-
- Protect against various types of particulates or vapors and gases depending on fitted chemical filter. Some may have combination filter.
- As above, but incorporates visor for face protection.
- It protects the wearer from inhaling hazardous vapors, gases and fumes.
- Full Face respirators protects the face as well as the eyes and filter out contaminants with the help of cartridges or filters, which should be changed regularly in order to ensure effective protection of the wearer.
C] SCBA- Respirators.
Importance of SCBA – Respirators:-
- Protect the users against oxygen deficiency, dust, gases and vapors at plants, aboard vessels, at fire and in tunnels.
- Provides breathable air in a hazardous breathing environment.
- It allows firefighters to enter hazardous environments to perform essential interior operations including offensive fire attack, victim search, rescue and removal, ventilation and overhaul.
- SCBA is a positive pressure system where air is continually delivered to the mask at about 5 psi then increase with demand.
D] ELSA- RESPIRATORS.
Importance of Elsa Respirators:-
- An emergency life support apparatus (ELSA) is a type of breathing apparatus used in an emergency situation to escape from a confined space or building following a fire, chemical accident or explosion.
- An ESLA is needed when breathable air is insufficient or highly contaminated.